Friday, January 30, 2009

My Part, God's Part

As I was reading Exodus 14, I was reminded about something Hannah Whitehall Smith spoke of in The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life: "I do my part, He does His part." Obviously, this division may not ever be clear: it wasn't to Moses (who had already had several close conversations with the Great I AM), because God said,"Why are you calling out to Me? Raise your staff!" (Moses maybe: "Well, I was thinking it was about time YOU stepped in, seeing how I've never coached a Spiritual SuperBowl before!")

So Moses part was to: 1. Tell the people to quit whining and have some faith, 2. Raise his staff to trigger the waters parting, 3. Raise his staff to trigger the waters closing. (and we see a conversation with God before each action) So there is obviously no training video for working with God!!! Sometimes the staff becomes a snake, that eats other snakes.... (not a desirable outcome on the shore of the Red Sea!) Sometimes it's a water-parter, sometimes it's a valley-flooder... so you have to keep in close contact with Headquarters for action signals!

Lessons Learned: I have no idea sometimes what I'm to do. I have less idea what God is going to do (shift angels around, have daylight on one group, dark fog on an army, possibly part seas? Even when we do our part, we have no idea what the result of that will even be, since we're learning pretty fast He never does the same thing, the same way - shows His creativity, and ingenuity. And, the part I will be doing, will be so small and insignificant in the end, that God will get the glory for it.

I am reminded of a song from college days with a verse that starts out: "Master, I am drowning, You called me when the sun was shining, but there's a storm in my life and it's raging; oh, Lord, don't you care...."

But the study Experiencing God does help us learn to keep our "Spiritual Antennae" out, to see what He might be doing!

No comments: