Saturday, January 17, 2009

Executor, Fiduciary, Heirs at Will....What?

When my father passed away years ago, I became the executor of his will. The attorneys explained that it was my job to: "marshall and inventory the assets, to safeguard the assets, and to distribute the assets to the heirs at will". "Heirs at will" refers to the people in my father's will who were to receive something, and I happened to be one of those people. Then another term showed up: fiduciary... this relates to the legal entity that the government and other groups look to to handle the financial and tax matters of the estate. As it turns out, that was also me!!! It was my job to see that all the legal and financial requirements were fulfilled. It took a good bit of my time, and that of attorneys and accountants to satisfy the fiduciary requirements.

None of it was any fun... There was a business to operate, it was an hour away, and it was so complex, and emotionally involved. I am grateful for friends who cautioned, "you will not believe what people will say or do when an inheritance is being distributed". It was over 6 months before I found myself at the point of being free to grieve the loss of my dad. Everything had been seemingly fine, all taken care of, until that 2nd heart attack. Upon his death, a number of events were triggered, some of which are still in action today. An irreversible, and unstoppable chain of activity began to transfer assets from my father to those he intended to bless.

I have come to realize that all this is something of a picture for me of what our Heavenly Father is doing for us. The Bible says we are "his heirs" and "heirs with Abraham". When Jesus died on the Cross, an unstoppable, irreversible, and predetermined plan was set in motion, to bless all those who would accept His purchased forgiveness. The Holy Spirit works as executor, to help bring us into all the fullness of the Father's plan of blessing for His children. The resurrected Son Himself serves as Fiduciary, seeing that everything is done according to the Father's Will. A lot of days, that knowledge really comforts!

No comments: