Saturday, January 17, 2009

Attorney - In - Fact

For some years, I worked in a business situation where it was necessary for me to take action in the absence of and on behalf of the owner. A legal paper was executed, signed, and recorded at the local courthouse. It gave me "power of attorney" over the legal, financial, and business transactions of the owner. The legal terminology is that I was his "Attorney In Fact"... and I had a stamp that proved it! Often I had to use the stamp, or provide a certified copy of the "power of attorney" paper when signing legal or financial documents.

The wording of the document was quite interesting. Obviously, there has to be a great deal of trust involved, for such a document to be executed. But the permission to do business in the name of the owner was broad, general, and extended to every property and possession the business owned, in addition to financial assets. There was a phrase that really caught my attention, and was the most meaningful to me during the years I carried a miniature of the document in my wallet.

"To conduct business, and take necessary action on my behalf, as if I were personally present". In truth, I could have sold the man's house!!! In trust, I would only do the things directed, OR when unable to secure specific direction, do the things I believed he would want done. This was to insure that the business operations were to continue to function, grow, and expand, along the lines of our sometimes unwritten business plan. Often the owner would be gone for weeks at a time, sometimes outside the USA, and was even stranded overseas during the 9/11/2001 tragedy.

It seems to me as a Christian, that when Jesus gave His final farewell to His disciples, in Matthew 28, and in Acts 1, He was authorizing them, and us, to be His "Attorney In Fact". We are to do what He would do, if He were personally present! That's a challenging thought, and I think I probably was far more faithful in the business charge I had, than I have been in spiritual responsibilites!!

Wasn't Jesus saying to us: "You go and do, in My Name, as if I were personally present, until I get back"?

No comments: