Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Planting, or Resting and Recovering? - Georgia Shaffer


Is This the Time of the Fallow Field?
  
This spring, I once again see tractors cultivating the nearby fields. Soon farmers will sow seeds, or perhaps the fields have already been sown. I rarely see a field lie fallow anymore. Some fields around my home even produce two crops a year--winter wheat and soybeans. Most farmers use the new fertilizers to quickly replenish the depleted soil. 

When I was young, it was normal for farmers to let a field lie dormant for a season. While it appeared to be an unproductive practice, they understood that letting the soil rest would revitalize it as it slowly accumulated needed moisture and nutrients without being taxed to produce a crop. Resting for a season would yield a better harvest in the future.  

People, like soil, can benefit from lying fallow for a period. To become "fallow" means to create the time and space needed to heal. It means saying no to the little things that crowd out grief. After the recent break-up of my engagement, I purposely slowed down and put many activities on hold. I needed time to accept what no longer was nor would be. Rather than forcing myself to continue achieving, producing, and performing, I allowed myself extra space to cry, reflect, or write about my shattered dreams. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, my inner resources were restored.  

While we may be tempted to think we just need to "snap out of it" or "get over it," the truth is healing after any significant loss can't be hurried. We must allow time to restore our depleted resources.  We must give ourselves time to rest and renew, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Just like the soil in a fallow field, the time of waiting now will allow a better harvest, a more fruitful crop one day in the future.  

Reflection for Gaining More:  Do you find yourself trying to fill up the void created by loss with activities and busyness, or are you willing to carve out time to replenish and renew? What things can you let go for now while you rest?

 
Gray
 

No comments: