Monday, June 15, 2015

A Father's Prayer

A Father’s Prayer

    For Jessica and Rebecca

A daddy thinks about his girls,
            And who they’ll someday be;
And where they’ll go, and who they’ll meet
            Before Eternity.

What they’ll do, and who they’ll wed,
            Are questions now, you see.
But bigger question this than those,
            Can this depend on me?

I’m thinking now of years gone by
            Of fun and games and toys.
Of grade school days, birthdays, and trips
            With other girls and boys.

But now we’re in a different time,
            Of which I’m not so sure….
We’re daily shaping lives and dreams
            And dad feels… insecure.

For, lo, these girls are ladies now,
            These tots have turned to teens!
How do we guide to paths of life,
            And direct past dangers unseen?

Dear, Lord, this Father’s prayer is plain,
            Fumbled, poor, almost sad.
How can You do this task SO BIG
            With such a TINY dad?

I know You are the “Red Sea God”
            The Water-Walking One.
I’ve read the stories in Your Word
            Of all the things You’ve done.

But can You fix a daddy’s heart
            To not mess up his girls’??
Can You make him (who fails so much)
            Able for the biggest job in the world?

 I mean no disrespect, dear Lord,
            Nor doubt of You, Divine.
It’s just so much that I goof up!!
            Perhaps I need a sign…

That He who guided Peter’s feet
            Across a water-way,
And made a donkey speak out loud
            To one who’d gone astray,

Can give me wisdom, love, and sight,
            To shepherd these great “seed”;
To change from being what I’ve been,
            Into the dad they need!

So daily now, I pledge to You,
            And them, to seek Your face
To follow hard upon Your steps,
            And find strength in Your grace.

My prayer is that they’ll see me change;
            From day to day, improve.
That they can know I’m trying hard
            And they can sense my love.

But I will trust that You will work,
            And finish this great task,.
And daily will I thank You, Lord!
            This humble prayer, I ask.

© 5/31/02     770-548-3020
Tom B. Bandy   tbandy523@comcast.net

           

No comments: